Thursday June 19th
Today it is the full last day and I asked if we could go to Rottnest Island. Rottnest Island is an island off the coast of Australia that used to be a jail but now it is a tourist spot. My mom said that we would have to go on a boat to get there and I did not care so we went. When we got to Rottnest we went to a bike hire store and there were lots and lots bikes. First they asked to get a helmet. Then we waited for a person to give us bikes. Finally a man came and mom, Robin and Tamsin got new bikes and I got an old purple and pink bike, it was ok. After an hour riding we stopped and had lunch. The beach was so nice but the water was ice cold. We cycled for a further two hours to get back to the dock. On the island there was a marsupial – called a Quokka (giant rat?) that would try and share your lunch, this rat is only found on the island – hence the name “Rattnest”. Finally we got back to the dock and we had to go on the boat to Fremantle and drove to a Chinese reentrant that was very good. There we met with Peter and Richard. I think I had on of the best holiday in my life.
Note on our 3000+km journey in Australia (not flights) we met with many Aboriginal peoples – Bondini, Ngalia, Tjupula, Mardu, Nyoongar, Yajamiti – that is why we should never just say Aboriginal people.
Today it is the full last day and I asked if we could go to Rottnest Island. Rottnest Island is an island off the coast of Australia that used to be a jail but now it is a tourist spot. My mom said that we would have to go on a boat to get there and I did not care so we went. When we got to Rottnest we went to a bike hire store and there were lots and lots bikes. First they asked to get a helmet. Then we waited for a person to give us bikes. Finally a man came and mom, Robin and Tamsin got new bikes and I got an old purple and pink bike, it was ok. After an hour riding we stopped and had lunch. The beach was so nice but the water was ice cold. We cycled for a further two hours to get back to the dock. On the island there was a marsupial – called a Quokka (giant rat?) that would try and share your lunch, this rat is only found on the island – hence the name “Rattnest”. Finally we got back to the dock and we had to go on the boat to Fremantle and drove to a Chinese reentrant that was very good. There we met with Peter and Richard. I think I had on of the best holiday in my life.
Note on our 3000+km journey in Australia (not flights) we met with many Aboriginal peoples – Bondini, Ngalia, Tjupula, Mardu, Nyoongar, Yajamiti – that is why we should never just say Aboriginal people.
No comments:
Post a Comment